Thursday, January 14, 2010

Job Search 2.0 - Could This Be the One?

I had a job interview this morning for a really great position at a really great company. The problem is there is no direct way to get there via public transportation. The "Beit Shemesh Bus Lady" did a huge favour and helped figure out how to get there. I took a bus to the train station, train to Tel Aviv, walked to the bus station, bus to the interview in Yehud. She figured that the trip would take about 2.5 hours but to leave extra time just in case.

This morning I caught the 7:30 bus, which got to the bus station with a few minutes to spare for the 8:23 train. The wait for the bus in Tel Aviv was also very short, as I arrived at my stop shortly after 10:00 for a 1:00 interview. We thought that the closest bus stop would be a couple of blocks away. It turned out there was a stop adjacent to one of the companies 3 buildings.

As I had time to kill I wondered around the neighbourhood. There was a Supersol, so I was able to buy the really good chocolate milk powder. While walking I managed to leave the industrial area into a residential area. A man walking his dog flagged me down from across the street. He wanted 'tzedkah', 30 NIS to be exact. I gave him a shekel which many people in this neighbourhood are thrilled to get and will shower you with brachot. He argued with me that he wanted 30. I told him if he didn't like what I gave him then I would take it back. He continued to argue so I reached into his hand and took it back. I then went to a small park and finished one of the books I had with me.

12:00 I was tired of waiting so I headed to the interview. They were kind enough to start the interview early. I explained that the reason I was so early was I didn't know what the timing would be like with the various connections.

I thought the interview went well. They got a clear idea of what am all about and it was clear that this could be a good match. They gave me a basic logic test to see how I think as a QA person. I was given 15 minutes to come up with the answer. It was a lot of fun. There are going to be a total 4 different interviews and/or tests with each candidate before making a final decision. As the commute is long they will try to schedule tests on the same day to make things easier for me.

I don't know what the chances are of landing this particular job. It would be a tremendous opportunity. I should find out early next week if they liked me enough to bring me back for another interview.

No comments: