Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Let's talk about the weather...

It has gotten Israeli cold here.

ISraeli cold is what I would call fall back in Toronto. you need something over your arms to protect you from the wind and a little bit of a chill, but generally any sort of windbreaker is okay. You start seeing people chasing their hats in the streets and you start giving a little bit of thought to where you stashed your winter coat, but on the whole it is not so bad.

you come home, take off your jacket, and walk around in socks.

Here it is a whole different ballgame!

First off, the parade of random clothing outside our window is cracking me up. ISraeli's think this is really cold. Like, wearing ski jackets cold. Yestarday I went ot pick Channah up from school and the sa'ya'at was wearing a t shirt, a huge ski sweater, a jean jacket, and a thermal vest.

I was shvitzing just looking at her!

Last night I went into Yerushalayim where it is roughly 5 degrees cooler than it is here. I wore a sweater. It was great.

On the other hand, in the house we are all bundled up. The whole building is made of stone and hold the cold so your bones feel like they are freezing. I have pulled out my shearling slippers and am actually wearing them (something I rarely did back in Toronto). We are all in sweaters and have gone into indoor "winter mode" with the windows all but closed, the fans off, and hearty soups on the menu.

On top of that, we are getting what I would call "Spring Storms". It is completely bass-ackwards (for those who do not get it, move the b to after the hyphen. thank you Mr. Mawsom for that wonderful turn of phrase). I know it rainshere in the winter, but this is insane. It is comming down in buckets. I was actually quite amused that the first major storm was the night we started davening for rain. Baruch Hashem that our tefillot are being answered, but even so, it is getting rediculously hard to dry laundry!

1 comment:

The Reish Galuta of the Geula said...

I'm having trouble finding time to take down the Succah, b/c I was lazy right after Sukkot and now I'm waiting for it to dry off...